Nicolas specialises in tax law. His focus is tax advice in connection with M&A transactions, cross-border structuring and financings. He also advises on tax controversies and tax-driven internal investigations (and how to deal with the findings).
Before joining bpv Huegel Nicolas has worked for several years with major international law firms such as magic circle law firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP and US law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (recently as Special European Counsel).
- Constantia Flexibles on the €50mn settlement upon the squeeze-out compensation for Constantia Packaging shareholders
- Sale of Constantia Flexibles Labels division to US Multi-Color corporation in a €1.15bn cash and stock transaction;
- Acquisition of think project! by TA Associates;
- Pre-IPO structuring of investment by US private equity funds;
- Various media-to-equity venture capital investments;
- Tax aspects of various big ticket corporate financing (bank-side as well as borrower-side);
- Acquisition of a European manufacturer’s division by a Chinese multinational; tax aspects of several aircraft leasing transactions;
- US hedge fund in a cross border real estate IPO transaction;
- Multinational on Brexit related tax issues.
*(including transactions before joining bpv Huegel)
Publications and Lectures
Wittmann/Wolski, Die Entdeckung eines Finanzvergehens als Strafbarkeitsvoraussetzung nach dem FinStrG, ZSS 2019, 48-53
Schiessl/Wolski, Besonderheiten des Inkrafttretens des neuen Doppelbesteuerungsabkommens mit Irland, IStR 2011, 801
Wolski, § 1 Abs 3 GrEStG im Rechtsvergleich – Ein Vergleich ausgewählter Aspekte der Rechtslage in Österreich und Deutschland (University of Vienna, 2018)
Nicolas is a co-author of the Austrian chapters of
- “Tax Controversy” (GTDT),
- “Tax” in the Global Tax Guide of The In-House Lawyer,
- “Corporate Tax” in the Chambers Global Practice Guide,
- “Tax Disputes and Litigation Review” and
- “The Transfer Pricing Law Review” of The Law Reviews.
Rankings | Awards
Nicolas is alumnus of the following scholarship programmes
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
After having his legal studies at the University of Bayreuth and the University of Marburg (2007-2007) Nicolas passed his second state examination in law in the state of Hessia (2007). He spent his legal traineeship in the district of the higher regional court of Frankfurt/M (2008-2010), before passing his second state examination in law (2010). Nicolas holds an LL.M. (Taxation) from the University of Münster (2007-2009) and an LL.M. (Tax Law and Accounting) from the University of Vienna (2017-2018).
He is admitted to the bar (Frankfurt/M bar) since 2011 and is a (German) certified tax advisor since 2011 (Hessian chamber of tax advisors). Additionally, he is a member of the bar of lower Austria as an established European attorney-at-law.
Nicolas has many years of experience with various major international law firms, including magic circle firm Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (2011-2015), Graf von Westphalen Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Partnerschaft mbB (Counsel, 2015-2016) and US law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP (Special European Counsel, 2016-2017). Nicolas joined bpv Huegel in 2018.
Lower Austria bar association, Frankfurt bar association, chamber of tax advisors Hessia (Germany); IFA Austria