Gerald Schachner is head of the firm’s tax practice group. His practice focuses on domestic and international corporate tax law, tax planning, structuring of (cross border) reorganisations and M&A transactions, tax audits as well as tax litigations including fiscal criminal proceedings and obtaining of rulings. He is dual-qualified as lawyer and tax advisor.
Gerald Schachner advises domestic corporations and multinationals, banks, private equity-funds on transactions, tax structuring including obtaining of advance rulings as well as high net-worth individuals and trusts. A special focus is on internal investigations, voluntary self-disclosures and the representation in tax audits as well as tax litigations.
Selected matters include:
- International industrial and banking groups on “Hard”-Brexit related tax matters including the obtaining of rulings
- Representation of several groups of companies in tax litigations (including fiscal criminal law) relating to debt push down structures, goodwill deprecation within tax groups, abuse of civil law, offshore payments, IP transfer and royalty payments and reorganisations.
- Information service provider (private equity group) on an internal investigation in tax law and financial criminal law matters
- International logistic group on a multiple (cross-border) reorganisation including the obtaining of advance rulings and implementation under company law
- Group of investors resident different EC member states and third countries on the implementation of a double-HoldCo-structure and tax neutral transfer of shares
- Tax-neutral separation of a family-owned group of companies
- “Ring” International Holding AG on the acquisition of the Helios Coating Group together with the investors GSO (Blackstone group) and Franklin Templeton
- “Ring” International Holding AG on the disposal of the Helios Coating Group together with the investors GSO (Blackstone group) and Franklin Templeton to Kansai Paint Co
- Refinancing of a multinational industrial group
Publications and Lectures
Gerald Schachner is author of publications on tax law and works e.g. on the Austrian M&A chapter of the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD), one of the leading platforms for cross-border tax law, the Austrian chapters of “Tax Controversy” (GTDT), “Tax” in the Global Tax Guide of The In-House Lawyer, “Corporate Tax” in the Chambers Global Practice Guide 2019 as well as on the chapters “Tax Disputes and Litigation Review” and “The Transfer Pricing Law Review” of The Law Reviews.
Rankings | Awards
Gerald Schachner is recognised for his work in tax law in law directories such as Chambers and Partners, 2019 (“Due to his brilliant combination of tax and company law knowledge, transactions are structured very efficiently and easily.”), Legal500, 2018 and 2019 (“brilliant and down-to-earth”, “extremely responsive and provides straight-forward advice”, “an outstanding tax lawyer and negotiator with brilliant knowledge and a high level of commitment”), International Tax Review, World Tax 2018 ( “highly regarded”, “The team of Gerald Schachner and Kornelia Wittmann has in-depth knowledge, they give clear answers and have an international network – that is time saving for managers.“).
Gerald Schachner studied at the Karl-Franzens-University Graz and ESADE Barcelona. After working for Arthur Andersen and Deloitte, he passed the tax advisor examination. He has been with bpv Hügel since 2010. Prior to that, he worked for several years for renowned austrian law firms and in the London office of a major international law firm.
International Bar Association (IBA), International Fiscal Association (IFA), Tax & Legal Excellence, Austrian Bar Association, Chamber of Public Accountants and Tax Advisors