Gerald Schachner is head of the firms tax department. His practice focuses on domestic and international corporate tax law, tax planning, structuring of (cross border) reorganisations and M&A transactions, tax audits as well as tax litigations including fiscal criminal proceedings and obtaining of Rulings. He is dual-qualified as lawyer and tax advisor.
Gerald Schachner advises domestic corporations and multinationals, banks, private equity-funds on transactions, tax structuring including obtaining of advance rulings as well as high net-worth individuals and trusts. A special focus is on tax driven internal investigations, tax risk assessments, voluntary self-disclosures and the representation in tax audits as well as tax litigations.
Selected matters include:
- Family-owned holding company on the sale of its majority stake in legendary Austrian food producer WOJNAR Group and on entering into a strategic partnership with VIVATIS
- Representation of several groups of companies in tax litigations (including fiscal criminal law) relating to debt push down structures, goodwill deprecation within tax groups, abuse of civil law, offshore payments, IP transfer and royalty payments and reorganisations.
- International industrial and banking groups on “Hard”-Brexit related tax matters including the obtaining of rulings
- Information service provider (private equity group) on an internal investigation in tax law and financial criminal law matters
- International logistic group on a multiple (cross-border) reorganisation including the obtaining of advance rulings and implementation under company law
- Group of investors resident different EC member states and third countries on the implementation of a double-HoldCo-structure and tax neutral transfer of shares
- Tax-neutral separation of a family-owned group of companies
- “Ring” International Holding AG on the disposal of the Helios Coating Group together with the investors GSO (Blackstone group) and Franklin Templeton to Kansai Paint Co
Publications and Lectures
For several years now Gerald is a co-author of the Austrian chapters of
- “Tax Controversy” (GTDT)
- “Tax” in the Global Tax Guide of The In-House Lawyer
- “Corporate Tax” in the Chambers Global Practice Guide
- “Tax Disputes and Litigation Review”
- “The Transfer Pricing Law Review” of The Law Reviews
- M&A chapter of the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD)
Rankings | Awards
Gerald Schachner is recognised for his work in tax law in law directories such as Chambers and Partners, 2016 – 2022 (“Due to his brilliant combination of tax and company law knowledge, transactions are structured very efficiently and easily.”; “Gerald’s work approach is very hands-on. His advice is always based on a deep knowledge of tax law as well as corporate law, always with high awareness of the interdependencies of the same.“; “Gerald Schachner, who, in addition to his years of Tax rankings, is now also ranked in High Net Worth: “has vast experience advising clients on succession planning and private foundations; he is one of the best tax lawyers in Austria, with impressive clients and a strong commercial approach”), Legal 500, 2017 – 2022 (“brilliant and down-to-earth”, “extremely responsive and provides straight-forward advice”, “an outstanding tax lawyer and negotiator with brilliant knowledge and a high level of commitment”; “first class tax lawyer with extraordinary skills and great personality”), International Tax Review, World Tax 2018 – 2022 (“highly regarded”, “The team of Gerald Schachner and Kornelia Wittmann has in-depth knowledge, they give clear answers and have an international network – that is time saving for managers.“).
Gerald Schachner studied at the Karl-Franzens-University Graz and ESADE Barcelona. After working for Arthur Andersen and Deloitte, he passed the tax advisor examination. He has been with bpv Huegel since 2010. Prior to that, he worked for several years for renowned Austrian law firms and in the London office of a major international law firm.
International Bar Association (IBA), International Fiscal Association (IFA), Tax & Legal Excellence, Austrian Bar Association, Chamber of Public Accountants and Tax Advisors