Florian has years of experience in advising on all aspects of Austrian and EU competition law (cartels, abuse of market dominance, merger control and procurement). A special focus of his is dispute resolution (litigation, arbitration, mediation) and, in particular, private enforcement.
Clients include top undertakings in the telecoms, welding, pharma, retail as well as construction and waste disposal sectors. Florian has a considerable track record in representing national and international clients (both private and public) in different fora.
Selected mandates include:
- Permanent anti-trust advice to the Austrian telecoms incumbant;
- Advising and representing a leading welding equipment producer in all aspects of anti-trust compliance and dispute resolution matters;
- Representation of an elevator manufacturer in numerous follow-on damages proceedings;
- Advice and representation of a truck manufacturer regarding the defense against damages claims;
- Representation of a plaintiff against an international sports association;
- Advice and representation with regard to unannounced inspections (dawn raids) in the field of used materials and many other areas;
- Compliance advice to a leading retail company;
- Competition law advice to a public transport association;
- Advising and representing a capacitor manufacturer with Austrian based EU headquarters in anti-trust proceedings before the European Commission;
- Advising and representing an emission certificate trading house before state courts and in arbitration proceedings under the Hong Kong Rules;
- Defense of long-term contracts in the energy sector under ICC Rules;
- International post M&A arbitration concerning, inter alia, balance sheet guarantees under ICC Rules;
- Lead Counsel in construction and shareholder disputes under the Vienna Rules (VIAC);
- Advice and representation in, as far as can be seen, the only Austrian Phase II merger, which was ultimately cleared without conditions;
- Advice on merger control proceedings of Austrian clients before the European Commission;
- Representation regarding the exemption of electricity generation as well as airport services from public procurement;
- Advice on interim measures and review procedures under public procurement law;
- Tender support for medical, sanitary, building and other companies.
- Member of the Domestic Advisory Board of VIAC;
- Mediator of the Energy Community;
- Active Member of the German Association for Antitrust Law (Austrian Section);
- Honorary Fellow, Center for International Legal Studies
- Numerous other memberships and activities such as within the Vienna Bar Association, UIA (currently serving as president of the Competition Commission), International League of Competition Law (LIDC), the Viennese Society of the History of Law, Spanish Austrian Law Association, Liechtenstein Arbitration Association, Austrian Arbitration Association (Arb|Aut)
Rankings and Awards
Florian is listed in numerous national and international rankings. Already back in 2008, he was selected best up and coming anti-trust lawyer in Austria and has since been described, inter alia, as “going from strength to strength as a litigator” and “Clients appreciate Florian Neumayr for his ‘quick mind […],’ alongside his ability to ‘explain complex legal issues […].’. He is noted for his skilled competition litigation” (Chambers).
Education and professional development
Following law school (Vienna and Thessaloniki) and an LL.M. in international commercial law (Nottingham), including international dispute resolution, Florian earned a PhD in procurement law (Vienna). After positions with large commercial law firms, he has joined bpv Huegel, where Florian has become a partner in 2010 and has been co-managing partner since 2016.
German, English, Spanish, Modern Greek, Dutch
Publications and Lectures
Florian is a regular speaker at seminars and conferences, including with the leading Austrian seminar organiser Business Circle and the Vienna Arbitration Days. He has authored numerous publications in his fields of specialisation: